In 1928, Kazuma Fukunaga (福永, 間), published “Chikara ōyō ryōhō” (力応用 療法, Power Therapy) printed at author’s expense. It includes an appendix entitled “Shiatsuhō” ( 指圧法, Shiatsu Method) and it is the very first time the term “Shiatsu” appears in a publication. A new technique is born, whose roots are in Anma massage.
In 1939, Kazuma Fukunaga publishes under the pen name Tenpeki Tamai (玉井天碧) the 1st book entirely dedicated to his creation “Shiatsu ryōhō” (指圧療法) or “Therapeutic Shiatsu”. With more than 600 pages, including a long introduction to modern anatomy, but also many spiritual advices to become a good practitioner, it is the founding book of shiatsu. As a tribute to this founder’s book, we have entitled our style Ryōhō Shiatsu, or “Shiatsu Therapy”.
Because of its Japanese origins, Shiatsu includes a very vast and codified curriculum. Ryōhō Shiatsu is as much about finding the roots of this manual art as it is about teaching its evolutions with a precise objective: efficiency. Any technique that does not prove itself is not taught.
We attach particular importance to the triple path (martial arts, meditation, shiatsu), as they are mutually nourishing. This is why the principles of Ryōhō Shiatsu are the same as those found in Japanese budo because the gestures, postures, ergonomics in movement, mental calm, breathing, the ability to decide (make a decision), the balance between efficiency and well-being are the same. This is why our links and relationships with Japan are at the heart of the development of Ryōhō Shiatsu.
Ryōhō Shiatsu is not just another style or way of practicing Shiatsu. It is based on two major concepts:
– the Heaven-Man-Earth relationship, which is widely deepened. This tryptic is declined in many aspects such as the pressures (slow, medium, fast), the depth (light, medium, deep), the levels of shiatsu (relaxation, energetic, therapeutic) or the three focuses, the three spiritual centers (Dantian), the three Treasures (Qi, Jing, Shen), etc…
– the improvement of all practitioners of any style or school to reach the therapeutic level, both in mechanical and energetic shiatsu. This implies a thorough study of oriental medicine, and advanced knowledge in anatomy, psychology and energetics of the human being.
So there is not a style specific to Ryōhō Shiatsu but a will to raise the level of all. We thus gather all practitioners and teachers who wish to spread this approach of Shiatsu.
- Shiatsushi body movement and use
- Basics of Meditation, Do-In and Qi Gong
- Kata of Namikoshi, kata sitting massage
- Base of joint manipulations and stretching
- Theories of Yin and Yang and kyo-jitsu
- Study of meridian paths
- Learning different pressures, rhythms and depths
- Study of the points of the 12 main meridians and their therapeutic effects
- Study of organs and their functions according to Chinese medicine
- Theories of Sky-Man-Earth, microcosm-macrocosm and the 5 elements
- TCM: 3 treasures, body fluids
- Observation: postural, face, eye, tongue, feet, pulse
- Listening: body noises, smell, development of the senses of shiatsushi
- Anti-sciatic kata, facial kata
- Treatment of pelvis, shoulders, back, opening of energetic barriers
- Points families: Bo points, Yu points, Gate points, Aborting points, Master points
- Study of the Extraordinary Vessels
- MTC: the 6 layers, deepening of the Triple Heater, the global energy grid
- Study of the visceral psyche (Shen, Hun, Po, Yi, Zhi)
- Leg & Knee Treatment, Feet & Ankles, Neck & Nape, Arms & Hands, Head & Skull
- Development of anamnesis, study of the role of language
- Touch: study of hara, palpation of meridians, control points, deepening of pulse, palpation hands & feet, muscles and tissues, back and reflex zones
- Families of points: Geki, Raku, lower seas, sky windows, ancient Yu points
- Study of Luo meridians
- TCM: causes of diseases, energetic layers of the body, 8 principles, pathogenic factors, principles of treatment, combinatorial points
- Pathology program: digestive disorders, neurology, ENT, gynecology, rheumatology, cardiology, psycho-emotional problems (30 different treatments)
- Study of the spontaneous movement in Shiatsu & energy
- Shiatsu treatment with a scarf
- Study of additional pathologies according to internship opportunities.